Saturday, November 16, 2013

Reply to a friend's e-mail in time of Haiyan/Yolanda

A former Professor and friend of mine during my studies in Europe greeted me by e-mail today in relation to our country's present travails. To my surprise, I was able to spontaneously write the following note. Maybe, it was also my own way of articulating how this Yolanda/Haiyan saga has also deeply touched me, yes in ways that I didn't expect.

Great to hear from you. My family and I are doing well. As everyone in the Philippines and in many other parts of the, we also our now deep into our own relief efforts, doing our own share of helping our fellow Filipinos in the best way we can. In fact, though it's weekend, just like our other faculty members and students, I also spent time this morning in our university to help out in repacking all the relief goods for our typhoon victims. It's so sad that people from the stricken areas are now going into some kind of voluntary diaspora, and this is the first time I've seen something like this in quite a large scale happening to a disaster-hit area in my country. To think, we Filipinos are a people who as much as possible wouldn't want to leave our hometowns (our migrant workers leave, but always with the thought of going back). It saddens me to hear people say, better anywhere than here. In the contemporary parlance, it's PTSD. But in another lens it's nothing less than existential despair after one has lost ALL the members of one's family; or even just a single loved one, and so many other people, relations, and things that one has valued in one's life. But, I think, and hope, that all isn't lost as there are those who are outside the stricken areas who decided to GO BACK to locate, succor, help heal, or even bury their victimized loved ones, giving the assurance to the afflicted that they are neither forgotten nor abandoned. Just a few minutes ago, on TV, was suddenly broadcasted the once-popular song "We Are the World," sang by artists from all shades of life. And to my surprise, from the commencement of this Yolanda/Haiyan tragedy,only now, I found myself spontaneously shedding tears. I can't fully say why, but I surely knew they were tears of lamentation. And I immediately got reminded by Elie Wiesel's "Night" question when he was in front of fellow Jews just newly-hanged by the Nazis: Where is God? And, though with sadness, however I was consoled by the answer provided by Wiesel's book itself "There, also hanging on the gallows." Yes, though I can't fully explain, I'm sure that God was with everyone who perished to their last moments, and in His own mysterious ways, He still is with everyone in every fiber of their cries, in every drop of their tears, and even in every crease of their smiles.

God bless you!

Again, many thanks my friend!

Sincerely,
Nonoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment